Tuesday 18 February 2014

Pippa McManus

I first stumbled upon Pippa McManus' intricately detailed illustration from Mary Katrantzou's Facebook page when she won one of the brand's illustration competition by recreating a dress from its Autumn Winter 2012 Ready-to-Wear collection. This Perth-based Australian grew with art surrounding her life. Pippa's father is an engraver and her mother is an artist. However, her passion in fashion design and illustrating came about when her 14-year-old self bought her first copy of Paris Vogue. Then, she started illustrating and even designing clothes for her friends. As of now, well-known brands such as Mary Katrantzou, Giorgio Armani, Dolce & Gabbana, Wildfox, and Steve Madden have all incorporated Pippa's illustration work to market their products.

"I try not to look to other artists for style; I believe that is truly something you have to work at on your own.  If you are a visual person you tend to be influenced by other people's work, so I look to fashion design instead of art and I chat to the gorgeous people at Jackson’s about what medium I should try next.  It really is something you have to work at solidly by yourself and I have learnt that through the mistakes you make whilst finding your way; they are sometimes the things that end up defining your style.", said Pippa when she was asked what influence she had on shaping her style to what it is now. I can learn that sometimes looking to other artists for style may not be good in shaping a sturdy and unique personal style of my own. Thus, I have to start looking at things through my own perceiving and interpret objects I want to incorporate into my art work in a style of my own, not influenced by any other artists. A lot of practice would be needed before I can achieve a high standard of my own style.

Here are some of my favourites of Pippa McManus' illustrations.







No comments:

Post a Comment